We’re in the kitchen today making a healthy snack. Granola bars! I don’t even want to know what I’ve spent on granola bars at the store. But, let’s just say that my kiddos have one just about every day for a snack. And here’s the thing. They are so simple to make. You probably already have all of the ingredients you need! Today we’re making pecan cranberry granola bars.
Here’s our cast of ingredients. Ok, I take back what I just said… you probably don’t have wheat germ in your pantry. That’s the one thing I did have to go to the store to pick up. *wink
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, salt, wheat germ, cinnamon, chopped pecans and cranberries.
You don’t want to chop your pecans too fine. Small little bits is fine.
Once you have your dry ingredients in your bowl, enlist the use of your kitchen helper to mix it all together.
In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, egg, canola oil and vanilla. If you have local honey, that’s even better!
Make a well in your dry ingredients, and pour in your wet ingredients.
Stir together until the wet ingredients are incorporated throughout.
Spray the bottom of a 9×13 dish. Flatten down the granola into an even layer.
I didn’t go quite to the edge of my dish. I wanted my bars to be a little thicker, and hopefully to stay more chewy.
Bake for 30 minutes, and then let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting. You want to cut them when they’re still warm so that it will be easier.
After cutting, let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Now, how easy was that? And, they’re delicious! You can change it up by adding almonds or different kinds of dried fruit. Here’s the printable. Enjoy!
This article was written by Jenn Rutledge.
Pecan Cranberry Granola Bars
- 2 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 C wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 C cranberries (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 C chopped pecans
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in your dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 dish and evenly spread the granola. The thicker they are, the chewier they will be.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into bars (they should still be warm).
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
The Creative Mama http://thecreativemama.com/