…but what about the husband? I was recently watching an episode of Mad Men and two of the (far from faithful) husbands were talking, one sharing that there came a time in his life where he started taking the 7:25 not the 5:25 train home. & it just made me think. How many men love coming home from work? Does my husband love coming home from work? How am I to come home to?
And it just hit me in the gut. & I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
Today just happens to be our eighth wedding anniversary, but as high school sweethearts, we’ve got a good fifteen years under our belts as a pair. I work very hard to keep my marriage in a happy place and I can think of no greater influence on my babies than the way we love each other. They are watching and learning. & that is a huge responsibility.
So what I thought I would share today are some of the ways I actively try to keep my marriage in a good place. I am a firm believer that love is a verb–it’s something we do continuously. & it’s not always easy. But men are pretty simple. (says my favorite book about marriage ever) Make them feel loved. Be sure they know you are proud of them. And respect them, in and out of the home. You get what you give—and a happy husband sure is a joy to have around! It’s worth every bit of effort! Promise!!!
So here are some of the things I’ve been known to do:
- Make his lunch. I add a note on his napkin–can be as simple as I love you or maybe an inspirational quote. Just a little bit to make him smile & feel loved in the middle of a hectic day.
- Bake–no faster way to a man’s heart than his belly…right?
- Put Siri to work: schedule a reminder in his phone…like “don’t forget, your wife thinks you’re awesome.”
- Put down the phone. Walk away from the computer. & give him some undivided attention after the kiddies go to bed.
- Leave a sweet post it on the screen of his laptop.
- Ditch the sweats and t-shirt to bed. Wear something comfy, but attractive.
- Sneak a card into his work bag.
- Sext. Not the dirty kind. (well, maybe sometimes)Just send a little text when you’re thinking of him throughout the day. We love the emoji keyboard on the iPhone. & send lots of kisses this way.
- Acknowledge big events at work. I like to sneak a handmade card into his car after he goes to bed, so he’s got a little something special on the dashboard on the morning of big exams.
- Initiate. (You know what I mean.)
- Say thank you. Especially if he is the sole income provider. It goes a long way.
These are easy & hard to do all at the same time. When I find myself in a marital rut (which we all have from time to time) I just remind myself to try a little harder. Even one of these things will go a long way. We’ve got so much on our plates a mothers, but our marriage is something that deserves to be a priority. ‘Cause when it’s good…so is everything else!
What are you doing to make your husband feel loved? I’d love to hear your secrets!