Top Electric Hot Water Heaters Reviewed
The best electric hot water heaters offer hot water on tap at an affordable price. You have a couple of options, including tankless and a tank system to meet your hot water needs. Smaller tankless systems do not work for the entire house but, instead, work for one specific area.
If you need a very large heater for a multiple floor home, you may want to talk to a local professional. However, if you need to install a simple system for a specific point-of-use, you have found the right article. A few of the options would work for the whole house, but overall, most water systems come with a long pros and cons list. Make sure you decide what features you want before purchasing a water heater.
Do you want continuous water on demand? Is cost a concern? Do you mind increasing the cost of your electric bill? Do you want a tankless heater to save on space and have more hot water, or do you prefer the more cost-effective tank heater? Decide on your answers to these questions and then look through this list for the best options available.
Best Electric Hot Water Heaters
A lot of factors influence your choice for a good hot water heater, including capacity, energy costs, and more. To help you pick the right unit we compared specs and reviewed owner feedback. From that research we present our picks for the best electric hot water heaters:
The Bosch Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater gives you 7 gallons of water at the point-of-use with a mini-tank you can fit under your sink. No more cold showers! This tank also includes a thermal efficiency of 98 percent and measures 17.5 x 17.5 x 14.5 inches, and you can install vertically or horizontally all for a mid-range price.
This model has a heating capacity of 1440 watts and a temperature range of 65-145°F maximum with an operating pressure of 150 psi. Mount the tank where you need it, on a shelf, wall, floor, or anywhere else, then tap into the cold water line ad install by your sink for direct access to hot water.
With CFC-free foam insulation, you get the max amount of energy efficiency along with a glass-lined tank for durability. The simplistic and sleek design works well to blend into any decor without issues. All this works together to get you hot water in seconds where you need it. Also, you can use this in an office that only has cold water at the sink as a primary source. This is a plug-in system without hard wires.
Finally, though this well-trusted brand comes with hundreds of happy customers, a few found flaws such as leaks, defective units, and poor customer service. Not every product will work for every person, which is why we have so many options available! Check all connections are correctly installed to avoid problems.
- CONVENIENT HOT WATER HEATER: 7 gallon point-of-use mini-tank fits under your sink to provide hot water right where you need it. Thermal efficiency is 98%. Dimensions : 17.5 W x 17.5 H x 14.5 D Inches
- INSTALLED VERTICALLY OR HORIZONTALLY: This larger model can be mounted vertically (7 gal. of water supply) or horizontally (5.1 gal. of water supply)- vertical orientation is installed with the cold and hot lines on top of the unit
- RELIABLE WATER SOURCE: Easily hard-wire the 7-gallon model to provide the on-demand reliable water source your home or office needs
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Heating capacity of 1440 watts and a temperature range of 65-145°F max. Operating pressure-150 psi. Water fittings-3/4 inch Male NPT. Electrical requirements (Amp 12A/Volts 120)
- EASILY MOUNTED: Can be shelf, wall or floor mounted (bracket included for vertical orientation only); simply tap into the cold water line and install the water heater directly at the sink to provide hot water
The EcoTouch 9KW Electric Water Heater comes in a sleek black box straight out of the future and will look good anywhere you install it in your home. With no tank, you have more options for placement to get hot water on demand. The point of use system allows you to place it near the source you need heated and save you some money!
Once installed, the system supplies water consistently and instantaneously, where you need it for an endless supply of hot water of 116°, no need to wait for preheating or fluctuations in temperature. This is perfect for placement next to your shower or sink and brings water to the future with innovative smart self-adjustment.
The system adjusts power input based on the flow rate and the temperature setting in real-time. This saves you money with an optimal energy efficiency of 99.8% for a much lower electricity bill. Also, enjoy micro-computer controls, and a patent heating technology to avoid cold water pockets and corrosion inside your pipes.
Lastly, the whole system measures 15.74 x 10.24 x 2.05 inches for convenience. Installation is easy as you can mount it to the wall to free up floor space, and it comes with all the necessary parts for indoor use. No worries about leaking or voltage issues with this tank, you just get hot water when on demand.
- 【INSTANT & SUFFICIENT HOT WATER】 Applied with 9kW heating system, the electric tankless water heater ECO90B supplies instant & endless hot water of 116℉or higher temp, no waiting for preheat nor temperature fluctuations, perfect companion for sinks, bringing you perfect experience of comfort and relaxing.
- 【SMART SELF MODULATION】The on demand electric water heater ECO90B adjusts power input based on flow rate and temp setting in real time. As water flow reduces, power input decreases, thus you still get ideal, comfortable temp instead of scalding hot water. Optimal energy efficiency 99.8% saves considerable electricity charge per year.
- 【UPGRADED HEATING SYSTEM】Featuring micro-computer control and patent heating technology, ECO90B electric water heater promises no “cold water sandwiching”. And unique heating element avoids any corrosion inside pipes so as to extend service lifespan.
- 【SAFE AND DURABLE】Applied with multiple protection devices, every piece ECO90B tankless water heater goes through strict tests to ensure 100% safety. Inner water and electricity lines are designed to run separately so as to avoid leakage or harm of scale build up. Approval by ETL and qualifies for UL, you can expect outstanding performance for years to come.
- 【CONVENIENT USE】The ECO90 electric tankless water heater comes with digital display & touch control panel so temp setting is an easy job. It's space saving, measuring: 15.74″H x 10.24″W x 2.05″ D. Plus it has a stylish, modern design that blends in any decor. Please verify it is the right size for you: 9kW@240V; pipes fittings: 1/2" NPT.
With the Camplux Mini Tank Electric Water Heater, you get a low price range and an easy to use system. It is a little space stealing gut provides up to 2.5 gallons of water and fits under your sink (it measures 11.75 x 10.38 x 17.25 inches) for hot water to clean food, wash dishes, wash your face, and to brush your teeth. It also comes in a couple of other sizes to better suit your needs.
A simple control knob allows you to adjust the water temperature once you plug it in to a 120-volt outlet. The unit is easy to maintain as it has a glass-lined tank for long service life. It also includes a maximum water pressure of 150 psi and comes with a CSA listed temperature and pressure relief valve.
Mount the unit where you need it, whether on a shelf, wall, or the floor for added convenience. Then tap into the cold water line and install the water heater under the sink to access hot water. It’s also freeze protected and waterproof for added benefits and safety. Though you should unplug the device when not in use, and freezing temperatures are possible.
Hire a professional if you have no experience installing these types of devices. This unit may increase your power bill, so check your bill from before use and then after use to decide if the cost is worth the warm water. You will need more space than listed as you need space to attach hoses and pipes.
- 2.5-gallon point-of-use mini-tank fits under your sink to provide hot water right where you need it
- Electric water heater is easy to maintain and has glass-lined tank for long service life
- Thermostat Control allows adjustment of water temperature.High Limit device provide protection while overheating.
- Plugs into 120 volt outlet for independent installation or in-line with a large hot water source.(Max. water pressure is 150 PSI,CSA listed Temperature & Pressure relief valve included)
- Can be shelf, wall or floor mounted ; Simply tap into the cold water line and install the water heater directly at the sink to provide hot water. Product dimension:11.75" W x 17.25" H x 10.38" D.
The Stiebel Eltron Water Heater comes from Germany to warm up your water. It offers a digital display for accurate temperature delivery and maximum energy efficiency. Save space with the small sleep white design and with energy-saving auto-modulation. It’s powerful enough to provide water for your entire house and does not require venting.
As the unit operates silently, and electric flow sensor activates the noise-free water heater. A digital temperature display is easy to read with simple buttons for control. With this unit, you get an app put water temperature of 86° to 146°F. Even better, the system comes with a seven-year leakage warranty and a three-year parts warranty when you purchase.
If the system isn’t quite what you’re looking for, this brand offers many other options to work for almost anyone in residential homes. The system also includes advanced flow control exclusive to this brand to maintain hot water temperature constantly, so you always get a hot shower. Some of the more advanced models include pre-set temperature buttons to make your life easier. These units of measure 4.6 x 16.6 by 14.5 inches and mount to the wall.
Finally, this self-modulating technology saves you money on your electricity bills well, taking a very little space in your home. Several customers had issues with tank life and found replacements difficult to come by through the company as only the parts are covered. Some customers also complained the tank only worked for one room of their house instead of for the entire house, though the majority of customers are exceptionally happy with this device.
- CONTINUOUS FLOW – Hot showers will never be interrupted again. Enjoy continuous, on-demand hot water with an unlimited supply, when you want it without wasting any energy when not needed.
- SPACE & ENERGY SAVER – Its small, sleek white design saves space yet still provides endless hot water for your whole house, and no venting is required. Eco friendly unit saves energy with auto-modulation.
- SILENT OPERATION – One electronic flow sensor activates the noise free water heater. Digital temperature display is easy to read, while the powerful solid copper interior heating system does the work.
- TEMPRA 36 TREND – This specific model is 36kW, 240V9/208V, requires a min. recommended household electric service of 300 A, and offers an output water temperature of 86˚ to 140˚F. Check our guides below to compare features of our various Trend and Plus models, each available in different kW levels.
- WARRANTIES INCLUDED – Stiebel Eltron’s top-rated electric tankless water heaters perform with the highest standards for comfort and reliability. Our 7-Year Leakage and 3-Year Parts Warranties are included with purchase.
The Rinnai Water Heater Tank works for indoor water heating with a tiny futuristic unit. Not only does the device look futuristic, but it also provides the capability of connecting to your Wi-Fi connection for remote accessibility. You can use his unit for up to six different fixtures, including sinks and showers.
You were also guaranteed hot water with a warranty I’ve up to 120 months for the heat exchanger her and 12 months for labor and 60 months for parts. Depending on your groundwater temperature, this unit works up to 9.4 G PM for hot water flow rate. Using Circ-Logic Technology, you can set recirculation patterns to coincide with your typical habits. This translates to water when you need it and hot!
Some customers may be turned off by the high price for this tankless hot water heater. The quality often costs extra money. More money upfront means less replacement earlier. This system will save you money as it is not huge energy and will reduce your electricity bill. You can also save space with a low profile, so you can put this in your attic, crawl space, in your garage or anywhere else that you find space.
Customers love this water heater despite the high price because it works well. It works with natural gas and provides a hot water flow rate of pay 5.0 GPM. The whole unit measures 9.3 x 14 x 23,” but you may need someone to help you pick it up is it weighs just over 50 pounds.
- Endless hot water for your entire home
- RLX94iN HE+ High Efficiency Tankless Hot Water Heater - Natural Gas: Indoor Installation Only
- Up to 9.4 GPM hot water flow rate (varies by groundwater temp)
- Circ-Logic technology allows you to set recirculation patterns that coincide with your typical habits. Hot water is available when you need it!
- Residential Factory Warranty - 120 months (heat exchanger), 12 months (labor), 60 months (parts)
The next water tank, the Funwill Electric Mini Tank, on the list looks a little more like an economical tank, and it comes with an economical price ready to fit into everyone’s budget. As it measures 9.4 x 8.2 x 13 inches, this tank provides about 2.5 gallons of water at the point of use, as in by your sink or shower. A mini heater like this one will save you money as it will only use 1500 watts of energy and comes in a one-piece compact insulation.
Adjust the temperature to between 55℃– 75℃ and enjoy auto shut-off when that number is reached. The water heart uses a 316 stainless steel pipe and can accommodate extremely high temperatures without fail despite water quality. The system is water system is splash-proof and moisture-proof but not out waterproof though it has the most affordable price yet.
The size fits under your sink and does take up a significant amount of space. Customers love this tank for quick access to water and the easy installation process. You may not even need help installing if you watch a few videos on Youtube beforehand. The only issue would be finding a new place to store items you keep under your sink.
As the Funwill is not tankless but instead a smaller tank for only a couple of gallons, you will not get a full shower from this tank. Know though, that the average shower uses around 15-20 gallons of water, so a 2.5-gallon tank does not provide you with a lot of water but is meant to pick up where larger water tank lets off. Use this for a sink instead of a shower.
- 【MINI WATER HEATER】Size:9.4*8.2*13 inch,2.5 gallon point-of-use . The wire size takes 31.49 inch .For small sink. Easy to install and eficient.The hot water systems is applicable for different water pressure of different areas, especially for families which are located on higher floors with low water pressure.
- 【ENERGY SAVING】The Mini heater total power is 1500w, which heats up quickly and saves heating time.One-piece compact insulation, up to 5-6cm insulation layer, temperature drop, reducing energy consumption.The temperature can be adjusted between 55℃-- 75℃ optionally, and the power will be off automatically when the set temperature is achieved.
- 【STAINLESS STEEL HEATING TUBE】The water heater adopts 316 stainless steel pipe, which can reach 1400 degree working temperature and has strong anti-pollution ability, which can adapt to various complicated water quality environments.
- 【FASHIONABLE AND SPACE-SAVEING】The small hot water tank can be placed in the space exquisitely.Can be installed in the kitchen, rest room, bathroom or any other places you want optionally.The mini hot water tank uses green environmental material, which is qualified for international standard, and satisfies difficulties of hot water supply for multiple places, easily solves issues such as face washing, bathing, vegetable washing and dish washing.
- 【SAFETY】Moisture-proof and splash-proof: One-piece molding, strong and reliable, preventing environmental erosion in the bathroom kitchen. Overpressure protection: When the pressure of the liner exceeds the safety rated pressure, the safety relief valve automatically relieves pressure to protect the liner and your safety. Prevent dry burning: When the inner tank is dry and dry, the secondary insulation protection immediately cuts off the power supply and automatically stops working.
The blue Eemax tankless water heater looks rather interesting a small screen and easy to use the knob to change the heat. Mind you, this is the second most expensive system on this list but provides a lot of value as well as the fun look to improve your decor. Use the tankless to prove a continuous supply of hot water.
Not only does the tankless system give water on demand, but it only heats the water you need to save money. Get an instant stream of hot water on demand with the most advanced self-modulating technology available as the unit adjusts how much energy is needed to be input based on how much hot water you use. All this and you still get a small system that only measures 17 x 17 x 3.75 inches and weighs under 15 pounds.
However, the best feature is you can adjust the water 1°F at a time from 80°F to 140°F. Installation is easy, too, as it comes with the cables and connectors needed for installation without a professional. You are also getting a 99.8% energy-efficient unit to save space, water, and money.
The warranty offers 5-year protection against leaks and one year for parts. It provides enough water for one shower and two sinks simultaneously in colder climates and three showers and two sinks in water weather simultaneously. There is only one issue you may experience, and that is it may take a while for the water to reach the destination you need, but this is true of all tankless water systems meant for the whole house.
- Tank less water heaters provide a continuous Supply of hot water and only heats the water you need, when you need it
- Instant, consistent and endless hot water
- The most advanced, self-modulating technology available, meaning the unit will adjust how much energy needs to be input based on how much hot water is needed
- Compact size saves valuable storage space
- Before purchase and installation, Please verify that this EEM24027 is the correct size for your hot water needs
If you want a decent sized hot water heater tank, try the Denshine 13-gallon electric tank. The low price makes this an affordable option for any budget. Though the tank is large enough to hold 13 gallons of water, the size is still compact enough to fit where you need it. It also comes with a screen and knob to adjust and view the temperature.
The system automatically adds cold water and then heats it up with the controls to your desired temperature. It also comes with multiple safety protection devices for boil dry protection over-temperature protection. This set also protects against leakage and uses high hydraulic pressure protection for reliability. Also, an inner liner protector is mounted inside to protect the materials from erosion. Includes polyurethane foam for temperature control.
Finally, a pre-thermostat knob and indication light allow for smooth operation and to clear the system. Everything you need comes in the box for easy installation. It puts out about 2000 watts of power for this 50 liter round tank. Time for a warm shower, bath, or wash up some dishes.
- 【FULL-AUTOMATIC CONTROL】Automatically adding cold water, automatically heating and automatic temperature control.
- 【FOUR SAFETY PROTECTIONS】Multiple safety protection devices for boil dry protection over-temperature protection, electric leakage protection and high hydraulic pressure protection to ensure safety and reliability
- 【SPECIAL-PURPOSE SEWAGE OUTFALL】Simple liner cleaning, time-saving and labour-saving. Liner anode protector is mounted at sewage outfall to facilitate checking and replacing anode protection materials.
- 【CERAMIC DESIGN】Ceramic liner, anti-rust, anti-corrosion, anti-scale, anti-leakage to extend service life. Simple appearance and firm structure.
- 【THICKENING OF THE OVERALL POLYURETHANCE FOAM】good temperature control effect and energy and power saving Pre-thermostat knob and indication light: easy to operation and clear state
For a low price, you can purchase a 2.5 gallon Ariston tank or the even better priced 8-gallon mini-tank electric water heater. The tank measures 15 1/4 x 17 1/2 x 17 1/2 inches with the connections on top for this boxy tank. The best feature is the durable titanium glass-lined tank, and the tank eliminates the need for a recirculation line with high-efficiency CFC free foam insulation.
Mount this tank to the wall with brackets or on the floor with rubber feet, both of which come in the box. Use this for a single faucet unit or use it to boost your current unit. That’s right; you can improve your existing capacity with load reduction. It’s perfect as a supplemental system to improve short bursts of water and compensate for your current tank for endless hot water.
It comes with knob to lower or raise the heat. Includes a psi of 150 and uses 1,440 wats of power with a temperature range of 65-161°F. The 8-gallon tank weighs just over 29 pounds, so make sure to put the system somewhere supportive. Finally, while this is a great option to support your current option, it’s not a stand-alone expect for a small space like a mother-in-law apartment or have heavily used sink.
- Compact designed 8 Gal. mini tank
- Provides instant hot water at point of use
- 6-year limited warranty on tank, 2-year warranty on parts
- 1440-Watt heating element draws 12 Amp
- 65°F-161°F temperature range
The final tank comes with the Rheem name but has a few issues despite the elegant design. It comes with an external digital control with an LED display. You can adjust the water temperature by one degree at a time for a full range of personalization. It also has an advanced self-modulation with adjustable power to meet your hot water demands.
Rheem uses durable copper immersion with three heating elements to heat the water. It has an easy installation with simple connections and easily replaced parts. Also, it offers a flow rate of up to 5.9 gallons per minute for water on demand with this point-of-use system for continuous hot water. You can use the device for the sink, washing machine, dishwasher, shower, bathtub, or for the whole house if you wish.
Last of all, though the system comes highly reviewed, this mid-range priced item has a few flaws, possibly more so than the others on the list. For example, though the company claims it can work for the whole house, it works better for one point of use instead of multiple. Some customers found parts incorrectly labeled, too, so make sure to check the manual before installing.
- External digital thermostatic control with LED display (+/1 degree accuracy)
- Most advanced self-modulation, adjust power to meet hot water demand
- Durable Copper immersion three heating elements, field Serviceable
- Simple installation – bottom 3/4 inch NPT water connections.Threaded for easy replacement, simple installation, digital temperature display
- Flow Rate: up to 5.9 GPM
Questions About the Best Electric Hot Water Heaters
Is a tankless water heater better than a tank heater?
Neither is better than the other they are just different. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The type of heater you choose depends on the type of house you have and your household, such as how many people are in your home. A tank system works better for larger amounts of people, and you need a bigger tank for a bigger family. The average size tank holds 20-50 gallons of water.
Are water heaters energy efficient?
Most devices made in this generation are energy efficient. Higher quality models with the latest technology are usually more efficient and will save you money in the long run. This is one of the advantages of a tankless water heater as they tend to conserve more energy and heat up the water when you need it instead of always keeping it hot. They offer a significant reduction in your electric bill.
Should I get a point-of-use system for each sink in my home?
No. This would probably increase your electric and water bills dramatically. You would only get one to improve your current system for a heavy-traffic sink or shower.
Here is a good YouTube video that walks you through a basic water heater installation:
Final Thoughts Best Electric Hot Water Heaters
The best electric water heater depends greatly on the size of your family. However, we recommend the Rinnali RLX Tankless Heater as it offers futuristic design and even connect to WI-FI for more options to adjust your water. It comes with exceptional warranties and even better re-circulation technology, so you have hot water when you need it without any issues. Finally, the system comes with very few issues and is a customer favorite.
Last Updated on